Partner Visa 801
801 Visa Australia
Partner Visa 801 (Permanent)
With this visa you can
- live, work and study in Australia indefinitely
- sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
- apply for Australian citizenship if eligible
- hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820)
- in most cases, continue to be in a married or de facto relationship with your sponsor
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your family members to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts:
- on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
- on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia.
You can include your dependent child in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.
If you did not include your dependent child in your temporary visa application, you can still add them to your application before we make a decision on your permanent visa application. The child must:
- usually hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) and
- be in Australia
Complete Form 1002 Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (280KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.
Your children must meet our health requirement. If they are 16 years or older they must also meet our character requirement.
- 75% of applications: 12 months
- 90% of applications: 21 months
Our assessment will take longer to process if:
- you don’t include all the documents we need
- we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
You and your children must obey all Australian laws.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport and create a digital visa record for you. You will not get a label in your passport.
Have this visa
Usually, you must hold a Partner visa (subclass 820) or Dependent Child visa (subclass 445).
Meet relationship requirements
See the subclass 820 visa for more information on married and de facto applicants.
You must usually continue to be sponsored.
You might still be eligible for the permanent visa if your relationship breaks down or if your sponsor dies after we have granted the temporary visa but while we are still considering the permanent visa.
Pay your debts to the Australian Government
If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.
Best interests of the child
We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.
Read And Associates offer Professional Guidance
Here at Read and Associates our team of migration agents can provide you with the appropriate guidance and advice which will help you put forth the best visa application possible. Specialising in applications for medical professionals, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss how we can work with you. Book a consultation to find out more.